Skip to main content

THE YEAR I BUILT A WALL

I remember the year I built a wall, the year I got fed up. It was a rollercoaster of a year, one that began without an inkling of all the storms that came with. A year I had enough, a year I struck back in kind, a year I lost control, a year I saw beyond the naive, a year I became a man, a year I did the petty like a child, a year I became wizened.

Quite the year, of the highest of personal heights, the lowest of collective lows. A year I escalated some interpersonal conflict, and a year I pled for God's mercy, a year of chaos and stability.

I built a wall to protect myself, to save myself from the syndrome of feeling used, small and embittered. A wall where I didn't always have to accommodate or play the bigger man in a game I didn't know or understand the rules.

In difficult times, you're forced to shed your skin, unlock a version of you you didn't know existed. One which you play by your rules. Or maybe not yours particularly, but by the rules of an unexpected situation you have to confront. There is power in your new dynamic, a force to reckon with, flashing lights for sighters to tread carefully.

The year I built a wall, I had a ton of bricks. I acted out, I regressed in places while growing stronger in other areas simultaneously, all a bit crazy, in all honesty. Like crashing out and trusting God.

Life has a way of strengthening us and humbling us at the same time. Situations we didn't plan for flummoxing us and building us up along the way. Doing bad things you thought you outgrew while growing differently spiritually.

The year I built a wall was pound for pound. I gave as good as I got, sometimes even more. But then I got beat down even more than I bargained for. The year I built a wall, I was also learning what forgiveness was, that my peace was as important as being right, perhaps even more.

It's hard sometimes to differentiate between malice and boundaries, but I guess the confirmation is peace. Peace in your spirit, (The Spirit) and peace in prayer. Love, despite the chaos of people. Of what use is having a wall that keeps God out?

Love the fact that I was able to stand on my own two feet, all the while depending completely on God, even in the period of the unspeakable, and some distance. The wall is beautiful to have, but I'll try to keep my gates open. It is great to have a wall you can open or close, one you can stand on and keep an open mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SICKLE CELL: CHANGING PERCEPTIONS WITH ABIKE

Hello and welcome again to Haven Inc, hope you find it a place to stay. It's the month of September, a special month chosen to create worldwide awareness for Sickle Cell. Today's interview is with a Sickle Cell Warrior, Celebrity and friend.  Good day to you,  Ms Kawther. Welcome to Haven Inc. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to speak with you. It is a great privilege. Can we get to know you? My name is Oladehinde Kawthar Olamide. A 300-Level student of the Department of Human Kinetics, Sports and Health Education, Lagos State University. Thanks for taking out time to be with us. It's Sickle Cell Awareness Month, and we would like this time it to better understand what this means. What is sickle cell? Thank you. Sickle cell is a group of hereditary blood disorders that affect the red blood cells of a person living with the sickle cell disease. Thank you. Can I ask what it's like to live with Sickle Cell? How does it affect you as a person, an...

A PLACE

We all need a place, where we can be less perfect  Bottle our insecurities, and let it out in private Dine with our doubts and pick bones with faith It can be a person, it can be a place  It can be something we'll never do again. It could be healing, it could be coping  It could be something to help you keep moving  Life is a lesson, and people are blankets  Life is transient, and memories are strength Life is transient, and memories are strength. Like a plastic bag I kept some messy things  On the outside, it was fine But inside was less pleasant  Messy, not dirty, but serving a purpose  To keep my environment clean And help arrange my thoughts as I cleaned: Resented the baggage, but it grew on me And I came to realize its usefulness  We all need a place we can be less perfect  To figure out our weaknesses or find our strengths—   It's okay if we're lonely along the way  Or weak by ourselves when we can't find help Life is a l...

THE SONG OF TES

 Dear woman with a beautiful soul What is it that ails you so? I've searched for you in far places Are you passing through some difficult stages? She said: It's a long story I hardly can tell But the road is long, said I, please do tell Last time I saw you, I could tell There was something wrong, so pray tell And she uttered to me a parable You see, I went hunting with a friend To better our chances, we hunted the same Indeed, we were fair hunters of game. But things took a turn for the worse I thought we were friends, whatever that was She left the hunt and turned on me Left the hunt and turned on me Took the gun and turned on me Used as bait, she turned on me I became the hunted, it dawned on me.. My heart was full, it nearly burst! My soul was grieved, it nearly burst! Overflowing with pain, I nearly burst! So I stayed away from Mount Zion Finding solace in a dark room God sees my heart, he knows I'm mad I'll stay away, my heart is bad. And I stayed away for two whol...