Skip to main content

I'M NOT THE ONE WHO BUILT THE WALL

The most powerful man is the single man. He's also the most vulnerable. The most conflicted man is the growing man. He also has enormous potential. 

There is no manual for how people evolve and how relationships change, you only know what you feel and how it affects you and your view of the object of your interest.

I found myself once again in a similar position as of some years ago, a position of yearning. Yearning for something deeper, for someone closer. A bond beyond the ordinary, not necessarily with the official stamp that comes with. Just two people who enjoy each others company, unreasonably so.

You find it sometimes with people, and then you find that they have it already somewhere else, unknown to you. And when it is revealed, things change.

The single one adjudges the change begins with the revealer, unbeknownst to them. The revealer says the change begins with the single one. I cannot speak for the others, but myself. The truth is that the revelation does change interaction, as silences that once seemed normal (or a busy period) is interpreted in the lens of time with the significant other.

An eureka moment begins to dawn, now they feel like know why the long silences, and the single one begins to feel like an interloper. Interactions that were normal become careful, almost forced, but sometimes rooted in consideration. A call out of the blue before, now comes with thought like, is it still my place? Am I allowed? Am I being a bother?

The single one also begins to protect themselves, for every interaction with someone is an emotional deposit that needs return, an energy that needs to be matched, an excitement that needs to be tickled. 

Loving and liking is a choice, and knowledge changes the dynamics. Some relationships grow stronger with that revelation, and boundaries fully respected, some drift apart in that knowledge, stuck in the new dynamics the revelation presents.

I've seen where a single man was relied upon, then treated even lower than a friend. I've seen where he took one like family, and to her he was a known stranger. I've seen one who also took him like family, and their friendship ran its course without hard feelings, and another still going strong, and yet another that evolved but didn't really change, and yet another that progressed through every stage, and got better for it, or even those that stalled and rekindle from time to time on the weight of shared memories, to name but a few.

It's true, in delicate matters, boundaries are essential, but one thing that can be said for sure is that consideration matters. Perhaps it's good to rip the band aid off once and for all and be cold, but sometimes it is good to look at the shared history. Been through so much together, even if never together, shouldn't that count for some?

But the single one can't say for much, they've been single all their lives, and their boundaries can be less developed than others. It's been weird, watching the single one develop emotions that weren't there, pushing boundaries as well, but not minding when the truth was out. Yet again,  they saw the space between silences, and the distance between words. 

The things the weren't said, those were the boundaries that were communicated. They saw the kindness and the respect as well, a consideration of sorts, but like a blanket that warms your chest but not your legs. One way or another, you're still glad, and a little sad as well.

No particular pain at this time, just a curiosity of sorts. Of what it would mean if they sat down together and truly shared their thoughts.

 Once again, in this sort of matter, I'm not the one who built the wall. It just keeps going up in my face. (Am I too eager?) Although, to be fair, this year, I really did build one, but not this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SICKLE CELL: CHANGING PERCEPTIONS WITH ABIKE

Hello and welcome again to Haven Inc, hope you find it a place to stay. It's the month of September, a special month chosen to create worldwide awareness for Sickle Cell. Today's interview is with a Sickle Cell Warrior, Celebrity and friend.  Good day to you,  Ms Kawther. Welcome to Haven Inc. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to speak with you. It is a great privilege. Can we get to know you? My name is Oladehinde Kawthar Olamide. A 300-Level student of the Department of Human Kinetics, Sports and Health Education, Lagos State University. Thanks for taking out time to be with us. It's Sickle Cell Awareness Month, and we would like this time it to better understand what this means. What is sickle cell? Thank you. Sickle cell is a group of hereditary blood disorders that affect the red blood cells of a person living with the sickle cell disease. Thank you. Can I ask what it's like to live with Sickle Cell? How does it affect you as a person, an...

A PLACE

We all need a place, where we can be less perfect  Bottle our insecurities, and let it out in private Dine with our doubts and pick bones with faith It can be a person, it can be a place  It can be something we'll never do again. It could be healing, it could be coping  It could be something to help you keep moving  Life is a lesson, and people are blankets  Life is transient, and memories are strength Life is transient, and memories are strength. Like a plastic bag I kept some messy things  On the outside, it was fine But inside was less pleasant  Messy, not dirty, but serving a purpose  To keep my environment clean And help arrange my thoughts as I cleaned: Resented the baggage, but it grew on me And I came to realize its usefulness  We all need a place we can be less perfect  To figure out our weaknesses or find our strengths—   It's okay if we're lonely along the way  Or weak by ourselves when we can't find help Life is a l...

THE SONG OF TES

 Dear woman with a beautiful soul What is it that ails you so? I've searched for you in far places Are you passing through some difficult stages? She said: It's a long story I hardly can tell But the road is long, said I, please do tell Last time I saw you, I could tell There was something wrong, so pray tell And she uttered to me a parable You see, I went hunting with a friend To better our chances, we hunted the same Indeed, we were fair hunters of game. But things took a turn for the worse I thought we were friends, whatever that was She left the hunt and turned on me Left the hunt and turned on me Took the gun and turned on me Used as bait, she turned on me I became the hunted, it dawned on me.. My heart was full, it nearly burst! My soul was grieved, it nearly burst! Overflowing with pain, I nearly burst! So I stayed away from Mount Zion Finding solace in a dark room God sees my heart, he knows I'm mad I'll stay away, my heart is bad. And I stayed away for two whol...