Sunday, February 20, 2022

THE STORY A PROFESSOR TOLD ME

A story my professor told me,
A new way of life, it showed me;
Those who are wise will hold this,
For every man needs to know this.

And so he said to me:
A man came to him in need,
Sir, I need your help to feed:
My dear sir, please...

But this wasn't the first,
And surely won't be last,
Professor thought to himself:
We can't keep doing this.

And, so, Professor said to him:
I, as well, I am in need,
You see, my car, I need to clean,
And you, you need to feed,
Can we consider it a deal?
And the man thought it wise a thing.

Indeed, it was wise a thing;
To be paid as much as kings—
Where do you find such a thing?
Wise, if you know what that means!

As the man washed Professor's car,
Some also needed to clean theirs,
So the man washed their cars,
And also cleaned his scars,
For a beggar's soul is scarred.

Now, he doesn't need to beg;
The wise will learn a lesson,
In a story filled with lessons.
A word is enough for the wise,
Or for those who want to be wise..


Tokede Opeyemi Iyanuoluwa,
Lagos State University.

1 comment:

  1. Great versification of a narrative.
    Thanks for the listening skill.

    Comment by Professor Henry Hunjo, of the Faculty of Arts, Lagos State University.

    ReplyDelete

LOVE IS A WALKING STICK

The old man trusts his body   to a piece of metal or wood Not as his god or anything  But as a prop to hold him up The injured man does the ...