Skip to main content

THE STORY OF KING SAUL


Once there lived a king named Saul in the ancient kingdom of Israel. He was the tallest and most handsome man in the land. A man of regal bearing, most fitting to be a king the people wanted.

 You see, the Israelites were the people most closest to God, and he went with them wherever. God was always with them, leading them by the hand and speaking his holy oracles through his servants the prophets, till one day when every changed.

The Israelites told God they wanted to be like other nations who had a visible king who rode before them and led them out in battles. In a way, they rejected the lordship of God, but he chose a king for them anyways and sent his Prophet Samuel to anoint Saul, son of Kish.

Saul became king by God's power, yet Samuel remained God's mouthpiece in the land. But this is not the focus of our story. 

And Saul was instructed to war against the Amalekites, to defeat the land and destroy everything in sight, both good and bad, worthy and worthless.

Saul went to war, but didn't destroy the best materials. He kept them to offer sacrifice to God in order to please his men. You see, Saul was guilty of a lot of crimes, but none of them particularly fatal so to speak. But in a way, everything he did undermined the authority of God in the land. He even conducted a sacrifice reserved for prophets alone because Samuel was late. 

In his words, Saul confessed:

 "I've sinned. I've trampled roughshod over GOD's Word and your instructions. I cared more about pleasing the people. I let them tell me what to do. I cared more about pleasing the people, I let them tell me what to do..."

This is a lesson for us as well, too. Obedience to authority, especially God's authority, and being able to stand our ground on what we know is right, instead we keep fighting a losing battle. That we may not think so highly of ourselves, but there are moments we need to take authority, not because we can, but because it is right. May God help us to apply the right principles in the right places. Amen.

Saul lost his throne over acts of "simple disobedience" and not knowing his proper place in the grand scheme of things. David did a lot worse as king, one could say, yet the Bible records him as one after God's heart, because regardless of whatever he did, David's submission to God was without question as long as he lived. We, too, can do the same.


Tokede Opeyemi, 
January 27th, 2022.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SICKLE CELL: CHANGING PERCEPTIONS WITH ABIKE

Hello and welcome again to Haven Inc, hope you find it a place to stay. It's the month of September, a special month chosen to create worldwide awareness for Sickle Cell. Today's interview is with a Sickle Cell Warrior, Celebrity and friend.  Good day to you,  Ms Kawther. Welcome to Haven Inc. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to speak with you. It is a great privilege. Can we get to know you? My name is Oladehinde Kawthar Olamide. A 300-Level student of the Department of Human Kinetics, Sports and Health Education, Lagos State University. Thanks for taking out time to be with us. It's Sickle Cell Awareness Month, and we would like this time it to better understand what this means. What is sickle cell? Thank you. Sickle cell is a group of hereditary blood disorders that affect the red blood cells of a person living with the sickle cell disease. Thank you. Can I ask what it's like to live with Sickle Cell? How does it affect you as a person, an...

HAVEN'T FOUND THE ANSWER YET

I searched the four corners of the wind I listened hard, I heard the birds sing I saw them take to flight and fly free I saw power in their wholesome wings  I went deep down the ocean depths  The primordial power of the earth I felt  Was ever so majestic the deeper I went Words fail to capture the essence  I climbed the mountains of the highest peaks Caught the sunrise on the tallest trees Saw so much beauty that I couldn't breathe Saw greatness that made my heart to freeze  In high spirits, but my energy spent  Still seeking answers, but I couldn't make a dent I searched the secrets of the seven seas I was put to bed by the gentle breeze  It doesn't matter if I spend my last cent   These answers are worth more per every cent  Yet on my strength I can't depend  To the grace of God, I must defer For in the fire, I found no answer In the earthquake, I heard no response  In the thunder, there was no reply  But in the g...

A PLACE

We all need a place, where we can be less perfect  Bottle our insecurities, and let it out in private Dine with our doubts and pick bones with faith It can be a person, it can be a place  It can be something we'll never do again. It could be healing, it could be coping  It could be something to help you keep moving  Life is a lesson, and people are blankets  Life is transient, and memories are strength Life is transient, and memories are strength. Like a plastic bag I kept some messy things  On the outside, it was fine But inside was less pleasant  Messy, not dirty, but serving a purpose  To keep my environment clean And help arrange my thoughts as I cleaned: Resented the baggage, but it grew on me And I came to realize its usefulness  We all need a place we can be less perfect  To figure out our weaknesses or find our strengths—   It's okay if we're lonely along the way  Or weak by ourselves when we can't find help Life is a l...