Thursday, January 27, 2022

FOR TYLA, LORD TYLA

I'll take a moment to talk about someone who means a lot to me, and from whom I've learnt that manliness isn't always about being macho; that love, care, respect and humility are a great part of what makes a man, part of what makes us human.

You see, I remember the first time I met Tyla, well over 16 years ago. I was to write my common entrance exam in my elder brother's school, they were in need of students. You see, Tyla was a friend of my brother's, though separated by one class.

Don't know if I remember right, but I remember rain falling and the roads being blocked. We (my brother, myself and sister, I think) waded through water to get to Tyla's place, cause he was more familiar with the terrain. So we passed different routes, treading water but avoiding worse to get to the school with his expert guidance. One thing that remains with me over the years was his general availability and good-natured helpfulness, this man was genuinely happy to help, no frills.

It happened that I was admitted into the school. Had a pretty good record too in the entrance exams. So I was looking forward to that first day.

On that day, I met his sister for the first time, turns out she was going to a different school around the same vicinity. She was around my age, I saw heaven as a boy (lol!) 

So, school came, and going home was one big party, everyone of us, young or old walked home together, one big crowd dropping each other at their respective places. One thing that stayed with me was the warmth and mutual respect these seniors all had for each other and others. I was the youngest in their midst, but by no means treated like an outsider. I watched them cracking jokes and being merry, teasing each other without mercy, but all love.

Those years I remember fondly, eating peppered chicken butts, wings and all on there way home. It stayed with me, I can taste the memory and smile all over again.

Three years later, they all left school, but we stayed in touch. He coming around our area to say hello to the girls and we boys (lols) and hi to Rita.

We're still in touch now, had some memorable conversations along the way as well. Life happened to us all.

Yes, I take a moment to shout out a man I admire for his honesty, humility, and a blatant lack of judgement. I pray that God makes him bigger and makes all his lines fall in pleasant places. More wisdom, skill and knowledge, and more funds to that account.

Being a man is not about pointing, shouting and beating the chest, it's about staying in touch with those things that make us human.

I know I've said a lot of things, but I'll leave these on marble. 

Happy birthday Lord Tyla. God bless your new age. Yes, to God we say, Thank You Lord Always, for Tyla. 


For Tyla, Wright Snr.


©tokede el-iyanu 
a.k.a. Yanu Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment

LOVE IS A WALKING STICK

The old man trusts his body   to a piece of metal or wood Not as his god or anything  But as a prop to hold him up The injured man does the ...