Skip to main content

LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE

 For those who've listened to Whitney Houston's classic: The Greatest Love of All, we find lyrics that reasonates with us on the subject matter of love, self-love and personal independence. It's a delicate matter that speaks to us in a special way.


What is Love?

The Bible speaks extensively about love in 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, but our focus today will be placed upon verses 4-7 which spells out the characteristics of love in plain language. It says:

Love is patient

Love is kind

Love is not jealous

Love is not conceited, ( proud or arrogant)

Love is not ill-mannered

Love is not selfish

Love is not irritable

Love keeps no record of wrongs

Love is not happy with evil but happy with the truth

Love never gives up

Love is faithful

Love is hopeful

The patience of love never fails...


The One You Love

We all have those we love for various reasons, whose personality appeal to us. Friends, family, colleagues and the likes. This we know the depths of our love for. But it's a little dangerous here, because those we love with all our heart may not not love us in return. I could say the same of myself, having someone who I can say truly loves me, but not being as enamoured with the person in return, and having those I love and I'm crazy about not loving me (equally) in return.


The One Who Loves You

This is the kind of love God has for us while we were still sinners, even now. This love is sure, and something we can bank upon. It's something that drives us to the lover, especially if unconditional. It's the kind of love mothers have for their children: which the children mirror and reciprocate in return. It's the kind of love that makes us love those who love us in return.


Loving in Return

Indeed, it's best loving each other fiercely, equally, and truly in return! But in all honesty, there are levels to this matter called love. Love should give the lover freedom to live, be and express the self, else it might be seen as selfishness on the part of one. It's why the story of the prodigal son speaks to me in a special way. 


The Depth of Love

The father knew the son was going wrong, but let him be to preserve the bond of their love. This love with which his father treated all those around him, even servants, was what gave this son confidence to come home, knowing his father would always have a place in his heart and treat him gently with love, even if as a servant. 


The Height of Love

Finally, the height of love comes in loving those who actively hate us, envy us, back-stab us, gossip about us; loving those who annoy us, who irritate us, who provoke us, who get on our nerves, those indifferent, and even those who oppose us. 


Mastering Love

A priest in my parish once gave a message that you may not like people, but you have to love them. You may even hate them, but you have to greet them. And this, in its little way mirrors the message of Christ, that we have to love our enemies, for only then can we be people of love, and masters of the same. For this is how God loves us, regardless. 


God's Template

This message comes not to condemn any man, but to make us look and and see where we fail, and take hold, perhaps, of one rung at a time. How people of love behave, and how they don't, until we are indeed made perfect, looking up to the Template of the Most High Himself, even Jesus Christ.


The Love of Christ

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16) And God showed his love to us, that Christ died for us even while we were sinners. Christ showed love and devotion to the Father, even to us as God's children without a word of complaint. Isn't this what love should look like? It is why in all matters, to him we look.


Love Never Gives Up (Even on Itself)

There have been days when we feel irritable, feel unkind and feel uncharitable, but the message of love is somewhere at the back of our minds, whispering that this is how love behaves and this is how it doesn't. May God help us to keep its faith till the very end. For at the end of the day, love never gives up, yes, love lives forever. Amen.


Comments

  1. Indeed, we do not have to like everyone; however, loving them is non-negotiable.

    There are people I'm particularly exasperated with but at the back of my mind rings the admonition "love them... Love them... Love them..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boomshaka!!🔥🔥 Nothing else but that. Aptly said indeed. Thank you kindly

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SICKLE CELL: CHANGING PERCEPTIONS WITH ABIKE

Hello and welcome again to Haven Inc, hope you find it a place to stay. It's the month of September, a special month chosen to create worldwide awareness for Sickle Cell. Today's interview is with a Sickle Cell Warrior, Celebrity and friend.  Good day to you,  Ms Kawther. Welcome to Haven Inc. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to speak with you. It is a great privilege. Can we get to know you? My name is Oladehinde Kawthar Olamide. A 300-Level student of the Department of Human Kinetics, Sports and Health Education, Lagos State University. Thanks for taking out time to be with us. It's Sickle Cell Awareness Month, and we would like this time it to better understand what this means. What is sickle cell? Thank you. Sickle cell is a group of hereditary blood disorders that affect the red blood cells of a person living with the sickle cell disease. Thank you. Can I ask what it's like to live with Sickle Cell? How does it affect you as a person, an...

THE SONG OF TES

 Dear woman with a beautiful soul What is it that ails you so? I've searched for you in far places Are you passing through some difficult stages? She said: It's a long story I hardly can tell But the road is long, said I, please do tell Last time I saw you, I could tell There was something wrong, so pray tell And she uttered to me a parable You see, I went hunting with a friend To better our chances, we hunted the same Indeed, we were fair hunters of game. But things took a turn for the worse I thought we were friends, whatever that was She left the hunt and turned on me Left the hunt and turned on me Took the gun and turned on me Used as bait, she turned on me I became the hunted, it dawned on me.. My heart was full, it nearly burst! My soul was grieved, it nearly burst! Overflowing with pain, I nearly burst! So I stayed away from Mount Zion Finding solace in a dark room God sees my heart, he knows I'm mad I'll stay away, my heart is bad. And I stayed away for two whol...

HAVEN'T FOUND THE ANSWER YET

I searched the four corners of the wind I listened hard, I heard the birds sing I saw them take to flight and fly free I saw power in their wholesome wings  I went deep down the ocean depths  The primordial power of the earth I felt  Was ever so majestic the deeper I went Words fail to capture the essence  I climbed the mountains of the highest peaks Caught the sunrise on the tallest trees Saw so much beauty that I couldn't breathe Saw greatness that made my heart to freeze  In high spirits, but my energy spent  Still seeking answers, but I couldn't make a dent I searched the secrets of the seven seas I was put to bed by the gentle breeze  It doesn't matter if I spend my last cent   These answers are worth more per every cent  Yet on my strength I can't depend  To the grace of God, I must defer For in the fire, I found no answer In the earthquake, I heard no response  In the thunder, there was no reply  But in the g...